Tag Archives | Jim McConn

DSC_0241

Building on Intellectual Foundations: Creating the African American Library at the Gregory School

On September 2, 2002 a group of city officials and Houston’s then-mayor, Lee P. Brown, solidified the fate of an abandoned brick building at 1300 Victor Street in Freedmen’s Town Historic District. Through a significant restoration effort, Fourth Ward’s late-1920s-era African-American elementary school, vacant since 1984, was to become a dual-purpose cultural center and research […]

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes

UA-47366608-1