Tag Archives | Thomas D. Beauchamp

Commerce Street, 1890, the “heart of produce row.” Photo from the George Fuermann “Texas and Houston” Collection, courtesy of Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries

Houston’s First Ward: Producing Food from Farm to Counter

In 1839 Houston was divided into four wards, each a geographic area which provided representation for the municipal government. The crossing at Congress Avenue and Main Street became the intersecting point for dividing the wards. The First Ward, located in the northwest quadrant of that intersection, bordered the strategic location where Buffalo Bayou and White […]

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes

UA-47366608-1