Tag Archives | AFrican American Library at the Gregory School

14.2 Civil Rights Table of Contents

Download the full pdf. Vol. 14, No. 2 (Spring 2017) Letter from the Editor by Debbie Z. Harwell 2 Camp Logan 1917: Beyond the Veil of Memory By Matthew Crow 8 Remembering “The Mouse that Roared”: Eleanor Tinsley and Houston By Marina DonLevy Shimer 13 Guadalupe Quintanilla: Defying the Odds By Adriana Castro 18 The […]

Continue Reading
DSC_0241

Building on Intellectual Foundations: Creating the African American Library at the Gregory School

On September 2, 2002 a group of city officials and Houston’s then-mayor, Lee P. Brown, solidified the fate of an abandoned brick building at 1300 Victor Street in Freedmen’s Town Historic District. Through a significant restoration effort, Fourth Ward’s late-1920s-era African-American elementary school, vacant since 1984, was to become a dual-purpose cultural center and research […]

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes

UA-47366608-1