by Sandra Lord Click here to read a pdf of the full article.
Tag Archives | First Ward
Our series “When There Were Wards” will appear over three issues of the print magazine tracing the history of Houston’s ward system and featuring highlights on each of the six wards.
In 1839 Houston was divided into four wards, each a geographic area which provided representation for the municipal government. The crossing at Congress Avenue and Main Street became the intersecting point for dividing the wards. The First Ward, located in the northwest quadrant of that intersection, bordered the strategic location where Buffalo Bayou and White […]
Confronting Jim Crow Vol. 8, No. 1 (Fall 2010) Download PDF Letter from Editor 2 Guardians Against Change: The Ku Klux Klan in Houston and Harris County, 1920-1925 by Casey Greene 6 Illinois Jacquet: Integrating Houston Jazz Audiences . . . Lands Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie in Jail by Aimee L’Heureux 9 […]