Tag Archives | Hugh Roy Cullen

library slider

M. D. Anderson Library

The M. D. Anderson Memorial Library lies at the crossroads of the sprawling University of Houston (UH) campus. The library is the heart of the university, serving as a retreat for students in between classes and a resource for the experienced and aspiring scholars. The 250,000-square-foot behemoth—representing just one part of the UH Library System—began […]

Continue Reading
The 1990 appointment of Maruerite Ross Barnett as the university's president was an important milestone for the campus. Phot courtesy of UH Photographs Collection, 1948-2000, Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries.

UH & TSU Perpetuating “Separate but Equal”

In 1927, the Houston Independent School District (HISD) created two colleges during a local economic boom: Houston Junior College, and a “separate but equal” branch, Houston Colored Junior College. Eventually, they were designated the University of Houston and Texas Southern University respectively. What became TSU only admitted black applicants until 1956, and UH only admitted […]

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes

UA-47366608-1